This service provides support to families during the Education, Health and Care Planning process.
Umbrella launched the government funded service in November 2014.
Independent Supporters will provide support for young people and parents/carers in developing Education Health and Care plans (EHC’s). Support will be provided to:
- Young people or parents/carers of children being assessed for an EHC plan
- Young people or parents/carers of children with a statement of SEND transferring to an EHC plan
- Young people with a Learning Disability Assessment transferring to an EHC plan
The support will be provided during the assessment and planning process. The support provided will be impartial and time limited, this will help parents/carers and young people to:
- Understand the SEND reforms and the new EHC process
- Contribute to assessments and take an active part in the decision making process
- Access support from a wide variety of external services
- Understand the processes for resolving disputes, attending mediation and the routes to appeals and complaints.
How you can use this service
Information regarding Independent Support will automatically be provided to parents and young people once a request for an EHC has been agreed. Referrals can come from any source including self referrals. To access independent support please call;
Umbrella Independent Support Service on 01332 785658
E-mail enquiries to: Independent.Supporters@umbrella.uk.net