With funding from the Big Lottery, an essential part of our work is keeping in regular contact with parents/carers, letting them know we care and helping to identify ways in which we may be able to offer support.
Single point of access (SPA)
Umbrella offers a single point of access (SPA) at our Ronnie MacKeith Centre office where families can call or drop in. The service offers advice, support and signposting to other agencies and services, including services run by Umbrella.
If you need someone to talk to, you are welcome to stop by for a cuppa and a chat with our friendly team. Parents/Carers are not always looking for a quick fix, sometimes they just want someone to listen, someone who will not judge them but provide a listening ear and at Umbrella we recognise that parents/carers should be emotionally supported, that the needs of children change, that services alter and that views of parents/carers should be respected by professionals.
Parents and carers tell us they feel stressed, often isolated and lonely. This is where our support groups make a big difference.
Why come to a support group?
- Meet other parents/carers in similar situations
- Hear what others have to say
- Learn new information
- Share emotions safely
- Form new friendships
- Enjoy the opportunity to socialise
- Relieve stress
- Share issues/ideas to help pinpoint action plans
- Don’t feel alone any more.
Available groups in Derbyshire
Sharing problems with like minded individuals can often help pinpoint the right information to help make processes easier. With all of this in mind, we currently facilitate the following parent/carer support groups throughout Derbyshire during term time only…
- Derby city, Meet the first Wednesday of each month 10am – 12pm at The Annie Hall Centre, 8 Bedford Close, Derby. DE22 3HQ.
- Erewash (Long Eaton), New Sawley Methodist Church, 214 Tamworth Road, Long Eaton NG10 3GU 10am to 12pm
- Amber Valley (Belper) ,Meet the second Thursday of each month at 10am – 12pm. Strutts Building, Derby Road, Belper DE56 1UU.
- Male Carers Group, meet the first Monday of the month at 6pm to 7.30pm, please call 01332 785658 for details of the venue as this varies.
- Parents and boys Group meet once a month on a Friday 6pm – 8pm at The Annie Hall Centre, 8 Bedford Close, Derby DE22 3HQ.
- Parents and Girls Group meet once a month on a Friday 6pm – 8pm at The Annie Hall Centre, 8 Bedford Close, Derby DE22 3HQ.
Other parent/carer events
- Family picnics– an event for the whole family. Parents/carers tell us they sometimes find it difficult to access mainstream events or local parks with their disabled child because they feel people are un-accepting of their situation. They feel safer and secure to come knowing other families will be at our activities. Picnics and other events are usually organised during the school holidays.
- During carers week in June we like to particularly acknowledge the hard work all parents/carers do, by holding an event such as a spa day, creative carer event or a shopping trip.
- We sometimes go out for lunch or hold fuddles especially at Christmas time. Parents can get involved in organising fundraising events which is always fun!
- SEND Workshops and Information Sessions – We run a variety of SEND related workshops and information sessions throughout the year. Please contact us for any current details regarding what’s on 01332 785658